August 4th, 2012

Buy for 250 tokens
Buy promo for minimal price.

Dress sword

67142_193313_LPR_0


1775. The elaborately carved hilt of this sword depicts the rescue of Andromeda by Perseus, who descends on his winged horse Pegasus to destroy the fierce dragon tormenting his captive. It resembles ivory carvings produced at Maastricht in Holland during the mid-seventeenth century, when ivory was being imported in quantity by the Dutch East India Company. The hilt consists of four separate pieces: the pommel and grip (with Perseus and the chained Andromeda), the knuckle-guard (with the long neck and mouth of the dragon); the quillon-block and rear quillon (the dragon's back and tail); and the somewhat diminished shells, carved with the dragon's wings and feet. A.V.B. Norman related it in style to the work of Maastricht carvers, in particular on the stocks of a pair of pistols in the Wallace Collection.

Collapse )

Статуэтки



Англия. 1862. Billy Waters was probably born in America or the Caribbean. He lost a leg serving in the British navy during the Napoleonic wars. When he was discharged he supplemented his meagre pension by busking with his fiddle on the streets of London, especially outside the Drury Lane Theatre. He lived nearby with his family in the St Giles district. Billy was an eccentric character, well known for his exuberant personality and feather hat. He died destitute in the workhouse in 1823, having pawned his fiddle shortly beforehand. There are several representations of him.

Collapse )

Кресло


London, England. 1884-1886.
  • This armchair formed part of a luxurious suite of furniture, costing £25,000, designed for the music room of the New York mansion of Henry Gurdon Marquand (1819-1902). He was a highly successful American entrepreneur, art collector and benefactor. The armchair bears Marquand's initials on the back. The suite included two settees, the pair of this armchair (Melbourne, National Gallery of Victoria), two piano stools and a piano decorated by Sir Edward Poynter (1836-1919).
 © Victoria and Albert Museum, London