Dresden, Residenz, Grünes Gewölbe (Green Vault)
Artist: Johann Melchior Dinglinger, Dresden, presumably 1724-1731; dated 1731
The Green Vault (Grünes Gewölbe) is now a museum spreading over the first and second floor of the Western section of the Royal Palace (Residenzschloss) in Dresden. On the first floor there is the Historic Green Vault and on the second floor the New Green Vault. The history of the palace goes back to 1547 when Saxony was under the rule of the Elector Moritz, the pertinent rooms then being used by the rulers of Saxony as a private treasure chambers. The museum was founded by Augustus the Strong in 1723 – 1729, who made his treasure chambers public to selected poeple.